Dental Implants: Frequently Asked Questions
At Vranjes Denture Clinics, we understand that your health is important to you including your oral health, as well as the challenges when faced needing to have multiple, or even all their teeth removed. At one point a bridge or dentures were your only option but with improvements in dental technology, dental implants provide more stability and function than conventional procedures. At Vranjes Denture Clinic, from our free initial consultation to any necessary adjustments after your prosthesis is complete, we’re committed to making your experience at our denture clinic in Ottawa easy and enjoyable.
To aide in that process, here are the top frequently asked question when it comes to dental implants in Ottawa:
· What are dental implants – a dental implant is an artificial root made of titanium metal. It is inserted into the jawbone to replace the root of the natural tooth. An artificial replacement tooth is attached to the implant. The implant acts as an anchor to hold the replacement tooth in place. Dental implants are also considered a healthy option because they help to maintain the jawbone, keeping the facial structure intact.
· Who can get dental implants – Today most people are candidates for implants, regardless of age. The question becomes is it necessary or even advisable, usually depending on the amount and location of the missing teeth. If implants are suggested you would be referred to an implant specialist for consultation.
· How dental implants are done - During the first stage of surgery, your specialist will place a dental implant into your jawbone beneath the gum tissue. The gum tissue is then stitched back into place. As the tissue heals, the implant will bond with the bone and attach to the gum. It can take several months to heal. During the second stage of surgery (if necessary) and once the tissue is healed, your specialist or denturist will attach an abutment to the implant. An abutment is a post that connects the replacement tooth to the implant. In some cases, the first and second stage of implant surgery may be done in one single stage. As soon as the abutment is placed the final prosthesis is ready to be fabricated and can usually be completed within a few weeks.
· Why do people choose dental implants - Stability. The biggest challenge with complete dentures, especially with lowers, is that they tend to move or lift. Implants help stabilize dentures and in the case of partial dentures in most cases to eliminate clasps thus improving aesthetics. The result is a prosthesis that feels great, functions well and looks natural.
· Who does this procedure – dental specialists who place implants are periodontists or oral and maxillofacial surgeons, also called oral surgeons. When the implants are healed the denturist will then fabricate the final prosthesis.
Because dental implants are placed in the jawbone, your Vranjes Denture Clinic denturist will show you the proper cleaning procedure for implants using a toothbrush and floss. Regular dental checkups are important so your denturist can make sure that your bite is right and that your implants are not loose. If you question whether dental implants are right for you, contact Vranjes Denture Clinic today to schedule an appointment in Ottawa.